Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A New Quilt - Ocean Waves - and Levi's Quilt


The Ocean Waves pattern has been on my bucket list for a long time. This is the beginning of a quilt I'm making for my guest room. I'm using fabrics from my stash. It's also a test for a quilt I'm making for my sister. She requested greens and purples and let me choose the pattern. I'm using directions from  Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. It's a good thing I'm testing the pattern first because I found an error in the directions. I'm kind of surprised since I have the second edition of the book. On page 35 under Construction direction 1. It says to cut the squares into quarters diagonally. It should say to cut them in half diagonally. Both quilts will be full size - 84" square.



I see my last post was in February. That doesn't surprise my since I spent much of March through June in the garden - mostly weeding! However, I did find time to finish this quilt for my nieces baby and was able to give it to her at the family reunion in June.





Of note on the farm - Three of our hens hatched eggs for a total of 18 chicks. Above Bonnie is with the biggest hatch of 8 chicks.


10 comments:

  1. So good to catch up with you, Maureen!
    Those Ocean Waves blocks are wonderful in their scrappiness. I have never made a full quilt of that block, but I did put a round of them around a medallion quilt once. And I finished up a couple of partial ones that were in a bag of blocks from a thrift store, but I don't think that counts. : )
    Love the bold, graphic baby quilt, and I'll bet the baby does, too.
    Cute, cute chicks. My grandfather was a chicken farmer and I always loved when there were new little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've begun piecing my grandchildrens' name into the back of their quilts too - I think it's a really fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, you're alive and well and quilting! I've missed your posts but this one was worth waiting for with the wonderful pictures. Love the Ocean Waves and Levi's quilt is the bomb.Happy chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of triangle units in the new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie must be very happy with her chicks, they are adorable. The baby quilt is fabulous, lucky babies to have you for an auntie. I love ocean waves quilts, your scrappy variation is wonderful. Nice to use so many prints.
    Thank for sharing what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made one oceans wave quilt and that was enough! Yours looks great!
    Love Levi's quilt and back too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ocean waves will be stunning. Surprised to hear of error...their book is the one I used to make my very first quilt! Levi will love his quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a chicken update! What a good girl for hatching 8 chicks. They are just too too cute!
    Ocean Waves is a wonderful pattern and your traditional colors are lovely.
    Very sweet baby quilt - perfect for a baby boy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I've begun piecing my grandchildrens' name into the back of their quilts too - I think it's a really fun thing to do!


    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete