Saturday, November 27, 2010

4-patch and 9-patch


While sorting fabric strips last winter, I found I had a good bit of 1 ¾” and 2 ¼” strips from a project from a book I did a few years ago. I put them in their own little shopping bag thinking I would add this to my scrap system. I’m working on a 4 patch quilt with 2 ½” strips and somehow (I never know why one thing will make me think of something else) I thought of sewing a light from the 1 ¾” bag to a dark from the 2 ¼ bag and vice versa to make four patches that would end up being 3” – I think that is right. I don’t know what I’m going to do with them, but thought it was a good way to get rid of these bags. I’m trying to straighten up, but it always seems like a 1 step forward and 2 steps back process. Anyway, if I need more blocks to do whatever I decide to do, I can just use strips from my 2” bin.


In an attempt to relieve stress on my arms and hands, my husband and I went to a little culinary shop today in Old Town Alexandria. I bought myself a Shun 6” chef’s knife. This came about after a cooking marathon yesterday (2 pies and 2 soups). This new knife should cut better than what I have – I’m just hoping that doesn’t include a finger! Talking about fingers - I purchased this finger guard (the orange thingy on the ruler) at the Quilters Unlimited show last June and just started using it. Having it there also relieves stress on my arms because I'm  not pressing down so hard in an attempt not to let anything slip. Does that make sense? I don't know, but it felt better this morning when I was using it. Why did I wait so long?


All I have to do to reach my goal of finishing 12 quilts this year is to bind this little blue and white 9-patch. I hope I don't find myself doing it New Years Eve at 10pm  (though it wouldn't surprise me!).




No comments:

Post a Comment