|Union Star - 70"x80"|
This Union Stars quilt was a Ways and Means for Burke QU many years ago. We received a bundle of fabrics and the pattern. I had quite a bit of fabric left over after making the quilt. It wasn’t prewashed fabric so I didn’t want to just toss it in with my stash. One day I just started playing with the leftover pieces. I don’t remember how long it took me to make the quilt below, but I think it went together pretty quickly. I was very flattered when I went to purchase the backing fabric at Treasures from the Heart in Occoquan (now closed) and the owner asked me what pattern I used!
|Bonus quilt - 53"square|
The Union Star was one of the first quilts I quilted on my Bernina 440 with the stitch regulator. I did a big meander stitch. The bonus quilt is just quilted with straight lines on the diagonal.
Yesterday, I bought some apples at the farmers market and made applesauce in the crockpot. I was blog hopping a couple weeks ago and found a recipe at Loft Creations.
I modified it – just put the peeled, cored and quartered apples to fill the crock pot ¾ of the way full. Added a cinnamon stick and a splash of orange juice and set it on high. After an hour it looked like it hadn’t changed a bit.
When I checked at 2 hours it was done.
Edit: Vivian made a good point in her comment. Notice how the applesauce splattered within the pot. Be sure not to overfill - 2/3 of the way full may be best. I think the next time I make it I will do it on low. I used an old crock pot and I think they get hotter than the new ones.
This afternoon I went to a quilt dating club meeting. Wow! The antique quilts I saw were such a treat. I have to wait until January for the next meeting. I will have sweet dreams tonight – that’s if I can fall asleep with all the quilts dancing in my head!