Monday, February 13, 2017

Ocean Waves Finish and a New Start

80" x 74"
This Ocean Waves was a practice quilt before making this somewhat challenging pattern for a quilt for my sister. I'm glad I did because I made a big boo boo. It's surprising to me that it isn't more obvious. For some reason I didn't think the setting triangles had the same light dark pattern so I made two sets. When I went to stitch the two half of the quilt together I realized my error. The vertical triangle pattern just left of center in the photo above you can see light against light and dark against dark. I don't mind it at all in my own quilt but I think it would have bothered me if it happened in a gift quilt. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't introduce any new errors in my second attempt at this pattern! Really love the pattern and hope to make more after the one for my sister.

Before starting on my next Ocean Waves, I was itching to put together these 9-patches that I made with a friend. The final quilt will be double what is shown in the photo. Coming together quickly since we make the 9-patches back in 2015 so it's just adding the double 9-patch squares and sashing. This is my third 9-patch swap. When I finish this one I'll have to share all three in one post.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day so I thought I'd share something I came across in one of my favorite little books - To Bless the Space Between Us by John O'Donohue

The state of one's heart inevitably shapes one's life; it is ultimately the place where everything is decided.
  • A courageous heart will go forth and engage with life despite confusion and fear.
  • A fearful heart will be hesitant and will tend to hold back.
  • A heavy heart will make for a gloomy, unlived life.
  • A compassionate heart need never carry the burden of judgment.
  • A forgiving heart knows the art of liberation.
  • A loving heart awakens the spirit of possibility and engagement with others.


11 comments:

  1. The Ocean Waves quilt is awesome in every way! And I don't think those blocks look like mistakes at all.....they just look like part of the mix of colors! I love it! And your 9 patch is so pretty! Nice job, Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ocean Waves is gorgeous as is! Love it, and I'm always loving 9 patch quilts. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful Ocean Waves quilt. Those are no small accomplishment, and you are already planning another! I'm impressed!
    Double 9-patch makes a classic quilt. Looks like this will be a nice, big one!
    Thank you for the Valentine thought.
    It is good to hear from you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ocean wave quilt is beautiful. It's a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ocean waves is a beautiful pattern and you have done a wonderful job. Always enjoy seeing a lovely nine patch design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your quilt is gorgeous. I like the dark spot, it gives it charm and character.
    I love the double nine patch. It is one of my favorite quilt settings. Yours look great with the white and grey fabric.
    Thanks for sharing the Valentines inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't have found the "mistake" if you wouldn't have mentioned it. The quilt is a real beauty!
    Love the nine patch! That is always one of my favorite blocks and can be made into so many different quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Ocean Waves quilt is Stunning!
    I don't think anyone will notice a mistake was made.

    Your 9 patch quilt is beautiful too!
    Congratulations on the completion of these 2 wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Ocean Waves Quilt. I don't notice any "mistake"!
    Nine patches are always fun to play with, yours look great.
    Enjoyed reading your state of the heart quote.
    As always, thank you for sharing. I bet you have a busy spring planned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ocean waves is a beautiful pattern and you have done a wonderful job. Always enjoy seeing a lovely nine patch design.


    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete