Friday, April 4, 2014

We're moving to the Country!

Hello dear friends! A lot has been happening of late. If all goes well, we are moving from the Washington, DC suburbs to the Shenandoah Valley the end of this month. I have lived in these suburbs my whole life - even when I attended the University of Maryland. So this is a big move for me. It has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl to live in the country. And since setting up my first home I've always wanted to live in an old house. This one sure fits the bill. It is a 1926 foursquare on 5 acres and it needs some loving care. I am both excited and daunted by it all!

Here is the foyer. The chandelier looks original to me. Needs a good cleaning and I'm ready to protect it with my life on move in day!

This bright pink room is a small sun room off the dining room. I plan to put a couple of chairs in here so I can stitch away to the late afternoon light.

I love these spice cabinets in the kitchen next to the back door.

A little out of order here - these are the stairs going from the foyer to the upstairs hallway. Can you see some quilts hanging from the upper rail?

I think this will be my sewing room. That treadmill will have to go! It will get morning light from the east window on the right. Not my typical time to be in the sewing room. There are built in closets/shelves that I thought would be could storage for my quilting paraphernalia.

There is an upper and a lower porch on the back of the house. That is a stairway going from one to the other in the center of the photo.

On the way to the barn. Virginia got an unusual amount of snow in March. These photos were taken last week.

I'll own a barn!



The back of the house. That is a two story tool shed on the right.

This is a small apartment above the garage. I love the little potting shed under the porch.

The living room. I hope that mirror stays. There is a lot of good junk here. We told the owners we will clean it out for them. Don't know yet if they will take us up on that. I just hope they don't take all the good stuff and leave the trash!

It seems like ages ago that I finished my pineapple top. Don't know when I'll get to quilting it. We have big plans this summer. We are hoping to grow and raise some of our own food. My daughter is back from her travels and she is going to help us get started. She has some experience with chickens and goats.


My sewing room has been packed up for a month. I did manage to make these labels for my two quilts with wool batting before it was all put in storage.


I expect I'll be in and out of blogland for a while. I'm toying with the idea of a new blog. Fifty somethings starting a new life in the country - what do you think?

39 comments:

  1. So excited for you Maureen. You will have so much fun decorating with all your treasures! What a wonderful adventure :)

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Now you get to have your own sheep.:) Your house looks wonderful and very inviting. Sounds like a fabulous adventure so why not start a new blog? Country life is like a whole new world if you've always lived in the city.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how exciting!! I LOVE that house! Yes, your stair railing will be a wonderful quilt display area. That is how I use mine!
    What will you do with your barn and all of that land? Any plans for animals?
    You could host your own quilt retreats with that guest house. Wouldn't DH love that idea? : )
    You have quite an adventure ahead of you. I will watch with interest. I have to say it again--I LOVE your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting Maureen!! I hope you enjoy every minute of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The house looks beautiful! I hope you blog about it. Looks like a dream come true to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very exciting stuff. I would be just like you and wanting to get stuck in.
    Love those labels. Maybe your have some sheep too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful house! Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maureen we have the same dream. I am glad you are going to get to realize it. It is beautiful! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds marvelous and I love the house! Perfect for a quilter too... Good luck with it all.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new home! A perfect place for a quilter. I see quilts in almost every room and draped over the staircase banister. And you will love growing your own produce. I just do not envy you the actual move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!! So exciting and I'm so very, very glad for you!!! I'm so looking forward to all that you will share with us!!!

    Blessings and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your head must be spinning with all the possibilities!! So much to do and what a change of environment it will be. Since I grew up in nearby Fairfax County, Virginia living in the country always called to me also. Have never regretted doing just that...
    Your new home looks absolutely charming with so many special features - bet it is really solid too - built in the day when a 2 x 4 measured true. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Maureen!!! What a beautiful place you've found! I love the stairwell, the two story porches, the potting shed, and the BARN!!!! Awesome! And your sewing room and sitting room will be so nice for stitching! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a beautiful house! Good luck with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That is some house. Good luck with the move and all your plans, sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the your new home! It's good and gracious, and you will have such fun on the adventure of making it all reflect you and your family. It really is a country estate; what will you name it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...what a lovely place to live. It will be fun making it your own. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so excited for you. It looks fantastic, from the house, to the property and out buildings. Congratulations. Way to live a dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on making your dream come true! The house looks beautiful! Yes, I can see quilts everywhere! Love those spice cabinets. And a BARN! Will you get some sheep eventually? Maybe some chickens too? You've got some work ahead of you, but the possibilities must be fun to think about. Good luck with your move! (I know how tough that part is!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very happy to hear your news. What an exciting time for you and the house looks perfect. Please don't go missing - a photo and a sentence is all we need from time to time. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  21. a BIG congratulations to you for dreaming a big dream and for now being able to live it~!!
    love the house~! so charming in every way and a barn~!!!~whoooopppeeeee~!!~A BARN~!! how very wonderful. it does sound like you are going to be very busy for a while but in such a happy way.
    you know, i can envision that gorgeous pineapple quilt on your stair rail . . . SO pretty.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a wonderful old home! and the property looks amazing! A barn? I'm jealous -
    i hope you'll keep us posted when you move in. What an incredible charming home you'll have
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! I totally understand moving out of the DC area, I just don't understand the people who move there. My husband went to VMI and we love visiting the Valley, such a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very excited for you, reading about your future home. Such a wonderful house and barn. You'll have quite the spring and summer ahead, and I'm filled with envy. Enjoy every moment, Maureen. I can envision quilts and quilting galore in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this is wonderful news! Love, love your new home and that you are realizing your dream. All the little nooks, crannies, and special details are just wonderful in this house, and will look forward to following your progress as you and your family make this house your home. Bravo, Maureen! Hugs from Dixie in Cali

    ReplyDelete
  26. You won't ever regret moving to the country!!!! This is a grand old lady and it looks as if she has been well loved and lived in, so many interesting features......I wish you all the very best with your move. You will notice the silence, especially at night, I have had friends who have visited from the city and mention about how quiet it is here at night.......none of those city noises, sirens, the humm of distant traffic.....I look forward to seeing your progress and creating your own sweet haven in this dear old home!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You won't ever regret moving to the country!!!! This is a grand old lady and it looks as if she has been well loved and lived in, so many interesting features......I wish you all the very best with your move. You will notice the silence, especially at night, I have had friends who have visited from the city and mention about how quiet it is here at night.......none of those city noises, sirens, the humm of distant traffic.....I look forward to seeing your progress and creating your own sweet haven in this dear old home!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete