Friday, March 6, 2015

Oh, Barbara, you tempt us so...



I need another project like I need a hole in my head. So...


I rationalized it by thinking I can add them to my growing collection of blocks for a random sampler quilt. I was also tempted by all of you out there who have been sharing your sawtooth stars. So inspirational. 


Making the stars was also a reward for finishing this tumbling blocks quilt top. You may recall I'm making this for my nephew's baby, Layla. The piecing was quite a challenge for me. I waited until the end to press the seams which I now think was a mistake. The seams are going every which way. If I ever do this pattern again, I will put some thought into the pressing and do it as I go. Thanks, Dawn, for the tip.


I will machine quilt it, probably a meander pattern. Above is the backing fabric and machine quilting thread. The nursery is navy, fuchsia and white with gold accents. I didn't know this when I started cutting diamonds and now I'm sure I have enough diamonds for a full size quilt...

This basket is going on the shelf and I expect it will be there a long time ; c )

I needed a leader/ender project while stitching the tumbling blocks together. I was starting and stopping with each little seam when sewing the rows together. So I pulled out this project.


Bonnie Hunter's Crabapple Pattern
I now have all the crabapple sections completed.


And I pulled these fabrics from my stash for the cornerstones, sashing, setting triangles, binding and most likely the backing, too.

We had a cold and snowy February and March has started the same way.

We have named our little farm Glenalmus and I started another blog to journal our life here. Yeah, I know. I often just post photos there with little text so it doesn't take too much time. Yeah, I know. 
; c )
Happy Stitching!

11 comments:

  1. Of course you deserve to play along with Stars In A Time Warp. Yours look great, by the way! I'm insanely jealous of your wonderful progress on the Crabapples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter our good intentions, we all have something that comes along and causes us to cave. : )
    Wonderful job on the tumbling blocks! I am very impressed.
    Good job on assembling the parts for Crabapples. That is one I had to make, too. You've selected nice colors to go with the scrappy trees. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of beautiful projects, I love what you made dear Maureen XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, caved on the Stars (you knew I would!! LOL) Your's are fabulous!! What a lovely, lovely finish on the tumbling blocks!! And the backing fabric is just beautiful!! What a treasure!! The crabapple blocks are perfect!! Scrappy and fun!!
    We, too, have had "real" winter here in Texas - but it is going to make for a gorgeous spring!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea of a block sampler quilt. It already looks half done!
    The tumbling blocks is an outstanding quilt. The colors are terrific - what a special gift.
    I look forward to following your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little stars are addictive and I find myself looking forward to checking out Barbara's blog on Wednesdays for the next installment. Your tumbling blocks quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been very tempting! Great rationalization though--combining it with the sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to combine all those blocks into a random sampler. Your tumbling blocks look wonderful and it will be a very special gift. Will pop over and see what you are doing on your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm glad you joined the SIATW sew along. Your stars are great. They'll look wonderful in a sampler - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you are jumping into the Time Warp. It has been fun and will be great to see what everyone does with their stars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your stars! And the blocks for your sampler. I'm working on one too!!

    ReplyDelete