Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Flying Geese Strippy and Lots of Stars

Last year I made this quilt top for our bed. I'd had the fabrics forever. I believe most are Robyn Pandolf designs. This summer I had it custom quilted by Patricia at Brown Bird Quilts in Millboro Virginia. I'm very happy with what she did.


Click on this one to see the detail.


I made a lot of stars over the past couple of weeks. I'm learning so much from Barbara's weekly Stars in a Time Warp posts and I'm using fabrics I haven't used in years and some I've never cut in to.  I'm sure I'm stretching the definitions with some of these.
Week 30 Floral Trails

Week 31 Toiles

Week 18 California Gold

Week 17 Conversation Prints

Week 29 Lapis Blue

Week 21 Neat Stripes

Week 25 Wood Block Prints

Week 33 Later Turkey Reds

Week 27 Quercitron and Arboresces

Week 37 Chocolate and Blue plus Lace Prints

Week 13 Printed Plaids

Week 15 Woven Plaids

Week 14 Rainbow or Ombre Prints

Week 16 Paisleys

Week 19 Serpentine Stripes

Week 38 Black, Gray and Asian-Style Design

Week 32 Faded Synthetic Dyes

Week 12 Foulards

Week 20 Excentric Prints

Here are all my stars together. I'm thinking of using the border fabric (Matters of the Heart by Kay England) to make a strippy quilt - alternating with the stars on point. I must like strippy quilts!

I was visiting my friend Laurie in her shop - Appalachian Pieceworks - and she showed me this quilt she had taken apart. Theses fabrics were used as the foundation to a silk log cabin. The silk was shattered but the foundation fabrics are still very vibrant. She thinks the fabrics are copper plate roller printed from the early to mid 19th century. I looked back at Barbara's posts and black fabrics weren't available until about 1890 so I think at least the backing is later.



This was the backing.



This evening.


Beets from our veggie garden.


11 comments:

  1. Love all your bright beautiful stars and the fabrics you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stars are turning out great. Yeah for beets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the quilt on your bed. I've never made a strippy quilt--other than a mini. : ) What, does Chinese Coins count as a strippy quilt? I did make one of those years ago.
    You have been really busy with the stars. How fun to see them one after another like this.
    How interesting to see those old fabrics with the stitching lines from the log cabins that have long since departed. Does Laurie have a plan for the fabrics?
    Do you cook the beet greens as well as the beets? I grew up on beet greens. I can still smell them cooking. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very, very glad to see your post!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your stars. What fabulous fabrics!! I see a few that I have in my collection, too! You inspire me to keep blogging - hope you do too!!

    Your strippy quilt is wonderful - love the soft palette - what a wonderful addition to your room!!
    I too like strippy quilts. I made my Christmas Goose last year, but I've been thinking about another one, too!!

    Beets - love them - especially pickled!!! Like Janet, I love the greens, too!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt looks great on the bed, nice to have a finish and use it. Your stars are wonderful - very cool to dig into the stash and enjoy the fabrics again.
    Always hard to tell from a photo, I think Mose of the fabrics look later too. The stripe is an interesting one.
    Beet salad is all the rage around here. I recall enjoying warm pickled beets mynhrandmother made. I think they are a natural dye too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love catching up with all your Star blocks - what a great study & way to rediscover your stash! Our quilt history group is following along too with a couple of the members doing the actual blocks. We have each taken one of the weeks too and given on our own presentation. Fascinating to examine those older fabrics close up - and makes for a special connection to the past and that quilter. We have had a most gentle and extended autumn here in northern Wisconsin. Spoiled with a garden producing lettuces in October.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful beets!! I love beets.
    Your quilt looks great on the bed.
    The stars are so pretty and interesting. A strippy with that fabric will be wonderful.
    wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Flying Geese look so pretty and crinkly and I love Robyn Pandolf designs. Thanks for showing all your marvelous stars that look so very authentic to me. I gazed at them for twenty minutes just enjoying all those Civil War reproduction fabrics. Some I even recognized from my own stash, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt on your bed! Nice work. Look at all the stars! They are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stars--you have been busy and productive

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the arrows for their help in organizing your notes.
    doctor strange (2016)

    ReplyDelete