Friday, September 1, 2017

Cool Summer Quilting


I finished my Love Thy Neighbor quilt top last night. I think I said in my last post that I would applique some wording but those plans have changed. I'm going to enter it in an exhibit at the Shenandoah Valley Art Center titled Subversive/ Domestic Textile and Fiber Exhibit. I knew my plan to applique wording would make it doubtful I would meet the Oct 19 deadline. I started to hand stitch some lettering using a running stitch but didn't like how it looked. I next tried machine quilting the wording and was pleased with it so that is now my plan. I have wording planned for the four horizontal rows of sashing. I know the quilt isn't very "subversive". Though I'm not sure what that would be. Unfortunately I think my message is.






It was hot in July so I basted this little quilt so I'd have some portable hand stitching to do. We only have two window a/c units. My sewing room is uncomfortable during our hottest weather.



I only got a little stitching done around these two hearts and down one of the vertical seams and then the weather cooled considerably.


I headed back into the sewing room and was able to finish putting together the ocean waves section of the quilt for my sister. Just need to add the borders and start quilting. I will do this one on the machine - just a simple cross hatch.


I almost forgot to share this special block. The woman who was killed at the protests in Charlottesville on August 12 was Heather Heyer. Her initials fit perfectly in this block.

In my last post I invited others to make a Love Thy Neighbor quilt. A few responded positively. Janet O. has already posted progress on hers. It's not to late to join in and at some point I'll figure out how to set up a link up here.

I really have been busy in the quilting room this summer. I also pieced together the backing for two other quilts and delivered them to a long arm quilter this afternoon. One is a pineapple quilt I made using Gyleen Fitzgerald's special ruler and the other is my Stars In a Time Warp (the sewalong hosted by Barbara Brackman a couple of years ago). I look forward to sharing them with you.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Maureen,

    Love the Neighbours quilt! And the HH is so sweet ...
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Love Thy Neighbor top looks very good--and the added touch in the windows of the one block is really significant!
    You are nailing the machine writing. I really like it, but I'm not sure where I could work it in to my quilt.
    Your little heart quilt is sweet, and the Ocean Waves made my heart beat faster. I love this pattern, and the colors in this one are so soothing, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tribute to Heather Heyer in your lovely quilt is so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some lovely projects going. I love the house to remember Heather- such hatred in some people it is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so productive this summer, Maureen! I love your 'Love Your Neighbor" quilt with a tribute to Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Love Thy Neighbor quilt is wonderful! I hope you share photos of the exhibit. Even though I have not been in the sewing room lately, I'm with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a special quilt and the HH house is heartbreaking and wonderful. The signed hearts are so sweet. Your hand quilting is lovely!
    Your OW for your sister is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your new decorative designs! it's so beautiful so much and good idea on site.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete