Sunday, April 1, 2012

Addicted to Hexies



I’ve been feeling a little under the weather the last couple of weeks. Mainly due to tummy troubles. A head cold is making it’s way through the family. I felt like I was coming down with it, but I seem to have escaped. Keeping my fingers crossed. My sewing machine hasn’t seen much action. I seem to have enough energy for these hexies though. I’m very happy with how they are turning out and I’m pretty sure I’m going with the double hexie path. Here is a photo of an antique quilt (mid-19th century English, if I remember correctly) that finally got me started on another hexie project. This quilt was shared at the Vintage Fabric Dating Club meeting in March. I talked to it's owner and she said it was okay to share it with you.


I could have looked at this quilt all afternoon. It just had so much charm – the hexies, use of stripes and the soft colors with a dash of blue and cheddar. Isn’t that swag border with the striped fabric and heart bows so sweet. I don’t think I’ll include those in my quilt, but I do plan on the hexagon border. Here are a few more photos-




I just love looking at old quilts. I’m thinking about going to the American Quilt Study Group (check out their wallpaper) seminar in October. It’s in Lincoln Nebraska. It includes activities at the International Quilt Study Center andMuseum. I think this is a great opportunity.

It’s Spring Break here so I’m looking forward to a quiet week of quilting, reading and a little spring cleaning.

14 comments:

  1. LOVE the fussy cut hexie flower with the diamonds and stripes Maureen~!!!~
    this is coming right along.
    i noticed that the sweet applique border is done with a striped fabric . . . beautiful~!
    i'll have to link over and check out the american quilt study group . . .

    i hope you get back to feeling 100% very soon.


    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooooooooohhhh~!!!~
    the hexie quilt on the american quilt study group page is set in 'rows' using the background/path hexies to get the effect . . . wonderful~!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing quilt!!!! I love the border!!! Your blocks are looking great!!! Can hardly wait to see the finished quilt! It will be lovely!!

    Hope you are soon 100% and out and about!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hexie quilt is a stunner. No wonder you're so anxious to start your own version. And there's nothing like hand sewing to keep you busy when not feeling 100%.
    I hope you're back with vim and vigor before long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you have been down, but sometimes we need a reason to slow down and catch our breath. That is a beautiful hexie quilt. Your blocks are lovely with their gently muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better and get back into your sewing again. That antique quilt is stunning - gorgeous colours. Your little hexies are looking very gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful quilt Maureen. I never get tired of seeing gorgeous quilts like that.

    I hope you are feeling back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice for the setting of your hexes. I agree...fabulous quilt! Yours will be beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hexies sure are gorgeous!!! What a wonderful old quilt, I can see why you fell in love with it, so simple, but so charming, love the wavy border too, what a nice idea. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Love how your hexies are looking! It was fun to see the antique quilt too.
    Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. woohoo - another hexie addict - I am not alone :)
    Both quilts are stunning - the gentle colors and then that swag border is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you are feeling better by now. Isn't it amazing how relaxing those hexagons are to stitch. I love the antique quilt especially that border with the bows. Glad you are doing some stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt - I can see where it would want you to create a version of it.
    I love the variety of farbics and the cream setting is rich!
    Looking forward to watching your grow.

    ReplyDelete