Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Quilt Show

I went to the Shenandoah Valley Quilters Guild show today in Bridgewater. Very sweet people and beautiful quilts. Sorry some of the photos are fuzzy.























After the show I went to Patchwork Plus in nearby Dayton. They have a nice selection of fabrics and notions. My nephew and his wife had their fourth (!) baby girl a month ago. Time to make another quilt. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do but it will feature a lot of one fabric. I think it will be the "quilters linen" I picked up today. I'm playing with doing tumbling blocks but may change my mind. After the quilt shop I skipped over to the Virginia Quilt Museum in Harrisonburg. They have a great exhibit from the Tidewater Quilters. JoAnne, the Patriotic Quilter, has two fabulous quilts on display. They are a very talented group.

We have a gooseberry bush so I made a gooseberry sauce this evening... 
I simmered the berries in water and honey until thickened. Then I strained out the seeds and peel. It has a sweet/tart taste. I'll serve it on top of local Homestead Creamery vanilla ice cream at my mom's tomorrow. Are you familiar with gooseberries? They are new to me.

Well, the sewing room is a little more organized. The built ins were removed from the closets so my fabric bins have a new home. Gives me a bit more space in the room to work with. I've been unpacking the small things like notions - thanks for the tip to move them in plastic baggies, Dawn. Worked like a charm!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't had gooseberries for years. Mum used them to make pie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilts. I am particularly smitten by the shadowed 9-patch. Love it!!
    Don't think I have ever had gooseberries, but the sauce over local ice cream sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby quilts are so fun to make. The sauce looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking us to the show. I enjoy seeing what others are making. Good luck with the new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear from you again, and thanks for the wonderful quilt show! The gooseberry sauce looks elegant, I never had it but it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice quilts - thanks for sharing. Yummy gooseberries, I like the pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much talent reflected in these quilts~!!
    thank you for sharing.

    i'm not familiar with gooseberries but your sauce sounds yummy and like the perfect accompaniment to ice cream.

    pleased to read that you are settling into your sewing/quilting space and getting more nested in all of the time.

    enjoy the holiday.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the baggies worked! The quilts at the show are wonderful - nice you shared pictures with us. We had goodberry bushes in Minnesota. DH planted them. Our dog liked the berries so much, we rarely had many left for cooking. As I recall, the deer didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing your trip to the show, always fun to see quilts people are making in different parts of our country. Hope your getting more into a routine.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the quilts you shared. I also live in VA. We had gooseberries growing up, we loved eating right off the bush and mom made jelly and pies.

    suebennett1975@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete