Friday, January 7, 2011

Backing Troubles


I realized this morning that the 6 yards of fabric I have for the back of my snowball/9-patch isn’t quite wide enough. I briefly thought about just cutting strips of the many brown and pink fabrics I acquired while making this quilt, but I think I will do a strip of 9-patches and piece them into the center of the backing. When I started this quilt my plan was to do a lap size. I just started making blocks and when I put them on the design wall I realized there was way too much bright pink. I needed to tone it down and the result is full size – 76”x94”! BTW, why is the back often called “backing”, but the top isn’t the “topping”? Oh, and on a couple of blogs I’ve noticed a top (at least that is what I think they were referring to) being called a “flimsy”. Is that something new or regional?

My post time is 3 hours earlier than when I actually post. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Yesterday was pretty productive quiltwise. I finished the two 16-patch tops for my nieces and cut the fabric for the backs. I completed one fan on my hand quilting project. And fun, fun fun – I did the first step of Lori’s quiltalong. I love stay-at-home days!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, I have fallen in love with your little 9 patch profile photo. I am joining you in making the Civil War quilt blocks. Should be fun, all of us following the same project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen, I was playing with my blog and noticed that when you are on a new post page on blogger there is a label "Post Options" on the bottom left hand side of the content box. If you open that arrow it gives you the ability to change date and time. I have only just noticed it myself. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great and I love your idea of piecing down the center to enlarge your backing.
    Don't have a clue about the "flimsy" word.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pieced backs are such fun - glad you've chosen that option. Sometimes it's like getting two quilts for one.
    I think the word 'flimsy' started with some bloggers that don't always quilt their tops right away. It's sort of a nicer word than UFO *s*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt!! So very pretty...and I guess I am not the only one who has had a too narrow backing!!

    ReplyDelete