Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tonya Ricucci's Word Play Quilts



I purchased Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci from Amazon the day it was released in December. This is a very fun and useful book – different from the usual pattern book. The instructions and illustrations are very well done. My thought was to include these name blocks on the front of the two quilts I’m making for my grand nieces, but it was clear after I made RUTH that it wouldn’t fit. I knew EMMA would turn out even larger so I decided to put them on the back of the quilt. I could have made them smaller by using smaller strips of fabric, but I didn’t want to redo, better to rethink my plan for this one. I’m piecing the back so it should almost be as pretty as the front - especially with these blocks. Tonya’s letters are typically “Unruly” in her quilts, but cutting the fabric as she instructs and using a consistent seam allowance yields “tame” blocks like mine. Soon, I hope to make some unruly blocks using my stash of strings.

Took my shower and put on some flannel pants and other comfy clothes. Today is a “stay at home” day. YEAH!!! I will have to put jeans on later and walk the dogs, but for now I’m stayin’ in! I’ve already done a few chores and will do more in between quilting – plan to piece those quilt backs and do some hand quilting midday when sunlight is streaming into my living room.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. That looks great! How fun to have some time to play around with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you posted at 5:39 and you've already done chores and showered! I need to get up earlier. ;)
    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not that ambitious. It was more like 8:39am when I posted. I'll have to look into that. We always get up at 5:50 on work days. I can't sleep once my husband hops into the shower so I get up and make tea and sit with my little dog by my side and wake up slowly. For someone who used to get up at 4:45 to be downtown and start her workday at 6:00 so she could pick up the kids from school by 3:00, this is a great pleasure. I can't believe I used to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! First letters are almost always somewhat generic. As you gain experience and confidence, then they get wilder. make sure to include some angled strips and they will for sure!

    ReplyDelete