Friday, December 17, 2010

9-patch split and COOKIES!


I didn’t want to post two times in a row without a quilt so here is my nieces baby with his quilt. I started it last February and finished it this summer. It is Bonnie’s split 9-patch with a different setting. I used these same fabrics in a log cabin quilt I made for my youngest son several years ago. I was working full time then and it took me a few years to make. He would see me in my sewing room and ask if I was working on his quilt. He was about 5 years old then. Maybe it was more like 10 years ago. Oh, my! I felt so bad when I had to tell him no, I wasn't working on his quilt. I wanted to free-motion quilt it and didn't have the confidence. I finally took some classes and screwed up the courage to do it. It wasn't great, but it was done and he still uses it.

We have two cookie baking parties to go to tomorrow so no quilting was done today. We bring a batch already made and both hostesses (my mom and a friend) will have batters ready to bake. To my mom’s we take these pecan crescents (or Russian teacakes, Mexican wedding cakes) or as I like to call them – snowballs.


Cream together ½ cup powdered sugar and 1 cup softened butter. Add 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 cups finely chopped pecans. Chill 2 hours. Roll into balls or use a small cookie scoop to form balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

To my friend's party we bring these gingerbread babies to decorate.




Not the best looking cookies, but they are pretty good considering neither are chocolate!




My daughter took the cookie photos. She just finished a photography class for graphic design majors.

1 comment: