Thursday, December 23, 2010

Machine Quilting, More on Yo-Yos, and a Santa


Here is a sneak peak at what I’m working on. I think you can get a better look if you click on the image. I’m happy with how the quilting is going – a few wobbles here and there, but I can live with that. My daughter did the lettering and drawing.

I have a list of machine quilting reminders by my sewing machine –
1. don’t roll, but puddle the quilt (this was a tip from Patsy Thompson)
2. feet flat on the floor
3. shoulders back and down
4. relax
5. slow and steady -just like driving in the snow ;+)


Yo-yos are coming along. I played with them last night while watching Miracle on 34th Street. The fabric circles start at 2 1/4", I turn them in 1/8" and they finish at about 1”. I just counted 151 yo-yos. Maybe I have enough for 2 garlands!


This is a Santa wallhanging my husband and I made as newlyweds in 1984. I think it came from a Family Circle magazine. I made all the parts and got frustrated with it when it came to putting it all together, so he finished it. I guess I wouldn't get much done without my family!
Santa's beard and the holly leaves are machine stitched. Putting it all together required stuffing and glueing onto 1/4" foam core. I stitched, my husband glued.

Sorry for the shadows and dark photos. Not sure what I'm doing wrong today.
My family is all here - oldest son arrived with his puppy last night. He's better with doing his business outside (the puppy, that is), but has acquired the lovely habit of barfing all over. So far he has gotten the living room rug, the family room sofa and a Christmas blanket. He better not get to the quilts! I think he'll be a great dog, but right now he is just a little too active for our older dogs. The puppy is a 7 month old beagle. My son said he read that beagles mature at 6-8 months. I think this one is a late bloomer!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you made that Santa with dad! It's one of my favorite decorations we have. :-)

    ReplyDelete