Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Soldier quilt and 16-patch


Soldier quilt finished – nothing fancy. It is meant as a lap quilt, but the kit I received made a 48” square quilt. I added the 4” to one side to make it rectangular (at least a little bit) because people aren’t square - they’re rectangular!



I finished sewing and cutting the 1 ¾” and 2 ¼” strips. It made quite a lot – 177 -3 ½” x 2” units. I’m putting them aside for now.


Sunday was cold and rainy and I spent most of it working on the 16-patch with the deep pink sashing and butterscotch cornerstones. I actually like bad weather days when I don’t have to go anywhere. I listened to Christmas music (Doris Day, Andy Williams, Harry Connick Jr.) and stitched while a roast was in the oven. This quilt is very simple, but I like it. I hope I continue to think that way. I’m actually making 2 quilts for 2 grandnieces. I wanted something simple because another grandniece just arrived on Halloween. While this is a very simple, traditional design, I was inspired by a quilt from Lucy’s blog. She is a very talented quilter and photographer from Holland.

I’ve also been thinking about a new project to make for myself. I think I want to make a bed size quilt - the past couple of years have yielded mostly small to lap size. This one will be for me as a reward for finishing some projects this year. I’m gathering ideas and making a list. I’m also thinking about some UFO’s that have been around too long. Need to keep those UFO’s to a minimum!


Here is Duke - our 7 year old Goldendoodle. No, this is not HIS quilt. It was made from left over blocks from another project. The fabrics are brushed cottons and have a wonderful feel - especially now after several years of use. And I wonder which one of my guys thought Duke needed wrapping up?

No comments:

Post a Comment